Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Me Against Circumstance

This is a short story that the Lord inspired me to write, a while after I had gone through some emotional situations. It has blessed me immensely and I pray that it does you as well.

A standstill had come. Circumstance on one side, me on the other. His pressure was on me, so strong it brought me to my knees. My heart raced dangerously against my breast, blurring my vision and causing my head to spin. The coppery taste of blood settled upon my tongue. I hung my head, watching as tears fell to the dusty earth. Defeat was in the air, hanging all about me. I dug my fingers into the dirt, barely able to prop myself up. Jagged rocks cut into my palm.
"I can't take anymore," I whispered. Unwillingness to surrender warred with retreat. Circumstance stepped toward me, his features gloating as he was about to send the final blow. With a sigh, I closed my eyes, waiting for it to come . . .
A moment passed  and still I waited, but the blow never came. Of a sudden, Circumstance's pressure lifted from my shoulders. A bright light shone behind my lids. I slowly opened my right eye to find Him who is called Faithful and True seated upon a white horse. I blinked hard, the radiance of His light almost blinding. From the corner of my eye, I saw Circumstance ease back.
"Arise," Faithful said to me, "and fight."
Biting my wobbling lower lip, I shook my head and whispered, "I am too weak, Lord." His light shone brighter as he He drew closer to me. When I looked within His eyes, I saw great pools of love.
"Exchange your weakness for my strength," He said. "For I never faint or grow weary." With a deep breath, I pushed myself to my knees.
"I receive your strength," I said. At once my spirit was filled and weariness could no longer dwell within me.
"Don the Father's armour, beloved. Take back your ground," He told me. I looked over to Circumstance, lurking in Faithful's shadow, waiting for his time to strike. "Keep your eyes upon Me," Faithful said as He blocked the view of Circumstance. "Cast down your fear, for it is not of Me." I stared at Him in wonder, for my fear had gone unspoken.
"Show me, Lord," I said as I pushed myself to my feet. Satisfaction was in His smile as He threw a saddlebag to the ground.
I slowly pulled out the pieces.
"Put on the armour of Light," He said. A helmet marked salvation I put on my head, the breastplate named righteousness covered my heart, a belt of Truth I clasped about my hips, and shoes marked peace did I pull onto my feet. I wrenched a giant shield inscribed with faith from the bag. It covered me from shoulder to toe. And lastly did I grasp the Spirit's sword.
"But, Lord!" I exclaimed, gazing into the empty bag. "What of my back? Surely I should not go unprotected." He gazed at me as one would a small child.
"This armour is for attack," He explained. "A warrior of Christ never retreats." Faithful walked His horse over to me and reached out His hand. My eyes closed with the light touch to my head. "Anointed you are, beloved. He saves those as such. Hasten towards your victory." I could feel my spirit being quickened within me.
When I opened my eyes, Faithful was no longer there and Circumstance was moving towards me. I clenched the sword in my hand and lifted my feet. His pressure stirred nearer and nearer until it hovered above me.
"Over all I lift the shield of faith," I whispered, reaching it high. The pressure weighted down until it felt as if I would no longer be able to bear it. "I fight the good fight of faith." I spoke a little higher as I pushed Circumstance's pressure back. My feet picked up speed beneath me. Circumstance's eyes widened in fear. "I overcome by the blood of the Lamb and the word of my testimony!" I yelled. "I receive victory through the blood of Jesus Christ!" Another blow hit the shield, but my arm didn't budge. Closer and closer we came until only a few steps separated us. "I am of God. He always causes me to triumph in Christ," I said, raising high my sword. "You will never defeat me!"
Circumstance skidded to a stop and dashed to retreat. But it was too late. I delivered the blow with my two-edged sword, and broke through Circumstance. No longer would he have a hold on me. With a cry of victory I hastened toward the dawning light, where darkness no longer loomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment