Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Launching Out

As you read these scriptures, I want you to use your imagination. I want you to envision what's going on. When you're finished, close your eyes, and see what's happening.

Luke chapter 5 verses 1-9.

And it came to pass that, as people, pressed upon him to hear the word of God, he stood by the lake of Gennesaret,

And saw two ships standing by the lake: but the fishermen were gone out of them, and were washing their nets.

And he entered into one of the ships, which was Simon's, and prayed him that he would thrust out a little from the land. And he sat down, and taught the people out of the ship.

Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught.

And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net.

And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.

And they beckoned unto their partners, which were in the other ship, that they should come and help them. And they came, and filled both the ships, so that they began to sink.

When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus knees, saying, Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord.

For he was astonished, and all that were with him, at the draught of the fishes which they had taken:

Can you picture this scene in your mind? Here is Jesus standing by the lake, and a multitude of people is crowding him. He sees the two ships empty with the fishermen cleaning their nets, and no catch in sight. I can picture Jesus standing there and thinking, (if it was in modern tongue) This is a great chance for me to kill two birds with one stone. Don't understand what I mean? I'm about to show you. He enters into Simon's ship, who is later known as Peter. Jesus asks Simon to go out a little bit from the land, He sits down and begins his teaching. Now every time I read this passage I thought, Well, He's just asked him that so all the people could see and hear Him. But the Lord shared with me a while back something awesome. You see, Jesus was setting Simon and the people up; He was creating an atmosphere for a miracle to take place and an avenue for Simon to prove the words He was about to teach. The passage says He sat down, taught the people, and when He was finished speaking said to Simon, Launch out to the deep. In my own thoughts, I can hear Him say, prove that what I just taught is true.

Now I don't know what Jesus taught that day, but from His words to Simon, I believe He spoke about the Blessing (see Deuteronomy 28) and the provision of God, to expect prosperity under the Covenant that they had with God. I can picture Jesus teaching these people to expect great things from God, to expect great provision. And, when He's finished, rising and turning to Simon says, Now, since you're already a little way out from the land, why don't you just go out to the deep, let down all the nets you have, and expect this word that I have spoken to come to pass in your life. Prove what I say.

But then here's Simon, looking at Jesus like He's crazy.  He's probably thinking, Why is this carpenter telling me to go fish? I'm a fishermen by trade, I know there aren't any fish out there. I mean, come on! We've been out there all night and didn't catch anything! He says as much to Jesus, doesn't he? Then he says, nevertheless, (probably thinking, Even though I know I'm not going to catch any fish,) I'll let down the net at your word.

Notice this. Jesus said nets, plural. Simon says net, one. From that one word you can see that Simon is operating in unbelief. But they half obey, go out to the deep, and guess what? They catch so many fish in that one net, that it breaks and they have to call the other ship over to help them haul in their catch which is so much that their boats begin to sink. Can't you see Jesus just standing there watching them, smiling with a patient little smile? I can.

After this happens, Simon finally sees his error. He sees that he was operating in unbelief, he did not believe one word Jesus was talking about, he didn't put it into action in his life, and he didn't obey what the Lord told him to do. So what does Simon do? He falls down at Jesus knees and cries, Depart from me! I'm a sinful man, O Lord! (He's really saying, I'm not worthy to stand in your presence.) Why? Because of his unbelief. What does the Word say? It says without faith it is impossible to please God. But I'm getting off topic.

I want you to notice something. In verse five it says And Simon answering. . . But then in verse eight, When Simon Peter saw it. . . See in verse five this was Simon the fishermen, but in verse eight he became Peter the disciple of Jesus. Simon had revelation that he was operating in unbelief. Do you remember in Matthew 16:15-18? Jesus asks the disciples who do they say He is. And Simon Peter answers, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. He had revelation that Jesus was the Christ, the Messiah, the Anointed One. What does Jesus say? He says Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.


When I read these passages, I see them as Jesus telling me, Hold Me to My Word. When I read verse 4- Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught, I hear Jesus saying to me, Step out into the unknown. Prove my words, and use what I have given you, the gifts and talents, expecting a great return. We are to expect. We are to trust this Word that He's given us. We're to operate in faith and trust. When you're trusting the Word, you're expecting it to come to pass in your life. When you're expecting something to come to pass from the Word, you're trusting in the Word. The two words are interchangeable. When I'm expecting, I'm trusting. When I'm trusting, I'm expecting.
Hold God to His Word. It's His bond and He has all the power to perform it. We just have to trust, believe, expect, operate in faith, and operate in love. God says He hastens His word to perform it. In one translation it reads watches over His Word. To me, its like He's on watch for people mixing His word with their faith so He can get to work in performing it and bringing it to pass in their lives. Expect from God. Expect good things, because that's what He has in store for His children. Expect to see the promises of God come to fruition in your life and great things will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment